History Major Requirements
The major requirements for the B.A. degree in History are as follows:
- Lower-division requirements (12 units)
- One world history course
- HIST 99W (with at least a grade of "C")
- One elective History course
- Upper-division requirements (40 units). Twenty-eight (28) units of upper-division history courses, with at least three courses in one area of concentration from the following fields:
- Ancient and Medieval
- United States
- Latin America
- Asia, Africa, and the Middle East
- Twelve (12) units of HIST 197, History Faculty Seminar, with at least one course in the student's area of concentration
Students must take at least one course in three fields outside the area of concentration.
Students who choose United States as their area of concentration are strongly advised to take HIST 017A, HIST 017B as preparation for upper-division courses in American History
Lower-division courses taken elsewhere may be counted toward the lower-division requirement, and advance placement units earned in high school may count toward its fulfillment as well. Please consult with the academic advisor for further details.
Each History major is urged to consult with the academic advisor for quarterly advising and to meet with the Undergraduate Advisor at least one time each year. Appointments can be made through the Academic Advising page.